Aguada Fort, Goa: It derives its name from several fresh water springs (“Aguada” means ‘water’ in Portuguese) that existed on its site. For the ships that sailed from Portugal, it was the first stop after a long journey for fresh water supplies before moving inland. On the northern side, it provides a harbour for local shipping. The fort, at present, houses the central jail. A 19th century built lighthouse is situated inside the fortress
Chapora Fort, Goa:
The fort is made of red laterite and was built by the Portuguese in 1617, on the site of an earlier Muslim structure (the name Chapora is the corruption of the word “Shahapura” or “Town of the Shah”). Since it was basically built as a border watch post, it was later deserted by the Portuguese in 1892, as the borders of its empire extended farther north (known as New Conquests). The massive ramparts and scattered Muslim tombstones are all that is left of this fort. One can still see the heads of the two tunnels, that formerly provided the supply routes for the besieged defenders.
Corjuem Fort, Goa:
This fort is situated 4km north of Pomburpa, alongside the Mapusa river near the village of Aldona. It was built in 1705 by the Portuguese. The fort has a rather interesting story. One Ursula e Lancastre, an ambitious Portuguese woman determined to succeed in a man’s world, dressed like one and traveled the world. Eventually landing up here as a soldier.
Terekhol Fort, Goa:
This fort is situated on the northern bank of the Terekhol river. It was built by the Raja of Sawantwadi and was captured by the Portuguese Viceroy, Dom Pedro de Alameida in 1746.The church and the fort were rebuilt then. It was the site of a revolt led by the first Goan born Viceroy of Goa , Dr Bernardo Peres da Silva in 1825. He used it as a base for an armed revolt against the Portuguese but this attempt was crushed by the Portuguese forces. He never returned to Goa.
Reis Magos Fort, Goa:
It is situated on the south eastern extremity of the tablel and on the right bank of the Mandovi, in the province of Bardez, about two miles to the northeast of Fort Aguada. It was constructed in 1551by the Portuguese to guard the entrance to Goa at the narrowest part of the Mandovi river, enlarged subsequently on different occasions, and finally re-erected in 1707. Though far inferior in size to the fortress of Mormugao, yet standing on an eminence, its commands, splendid view around. It is in a good state of preservation, and is defended by 33 guns and accommodation for a small garrison. Towards the east, at a little distance from it, flows a spring with abundance of excellent water, while at its base rises the church of the Reis Magos, ascended by a beautiful flight of stairs. This edifice was built on the ruins of a pagoda in 1550 by the Franciscans, with the sum allotted to them by the Government, and bears a crown on its fa ade, and the royal arms on its sanctuary and other places. The pavement is dotted with inscriptions, the most important of which, found in the sanctuary, indicated the spot enclosing the remains of Dom Luis de Ata de, count of Athoughia, who twice held the position of Viceroy of Portuguese India and Goa.