The confiscated lands of the temples were handed over to the church and the communidades. In fact, the first Hindu temple allowed to be constructed by the Portuguese in 300 years was in 1818 at Panaji. With a significant population of Goans being Christians for many generations today, the Church is an important factor in Goa’s social , cultural and religious life. For example, the contribution of the Church to education in Goa is immense. Today the churches are all part of the Archdiocese of Goa and function with its help, many are also protected sites
Se Cathedral Church:
One of the most ancient and celebrated religious buildings of Goa, this magnificent 16th century monument
Ruins of Church of St. Augustine:
This highly visible landmark, a 46m-high tower served as a belfry and formed part of the facade of a magnificent Church.
The Church of St. Anne at Talaulim, Ilhas:
Of all the churches in Goa, the most ostentious and notable for its excellent architeture is that of St Anne.
Basilica of Bom Jesus:
This is the only church in Old Goa, which is not plastered on the outside, the lime plaster having been stripped off by a zealous Portuguese conservationist in 1950.
Reis Magos Church:
The small hamlet of Reis Magos lies on banks of the Mandovi river and is home to two famous landmarks of Goa – the Reis Magos fort and the Reis Magos Church
St. Cajetan Church: The large and beautiful Church of St. Cajetan, lies about half a kilometer away to the north east of the Se Cathedral, and quite near the ruins of the Viceregal Palace
Church of St. Francis of Assissi:
To the west of the Se Cathedral is the former palace of the Archbishop that connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assisi.
Church of St Paul:
It was started as a seminary of the Holy Faith for training young converts by two priests Diogo de Borba and Miguel Vaz who had established the Santa Fé confraternity.
Church of Mary Immaculate Conception:
The church was one of the first to be built in Goa, certainly being there by 1541.